Thursday, April 12, 2007

18.

Social

I was supposed to spring out of bed this morning and immediately start working. I was supposed to be instantly and completely overtaken by a dissertation-writing frenzy. Instead, I wasted the entire morning trying to pick a new hobby. I’m considering a yoga class with Katie’s friend James who she promises won’t make fun of the fact that I can’t bend. I was thinking pretty seriously about various forms of martial arts—don’t laugh, me and Tinka took kickboxing (“a new sport, but I think it's got a good future") and I was good. I took self-defense at St. Mary’s, with the fighting outfit and everything, and I had some pretty mean drop-roll moves. I’m going to take swimming lessons for sure over the summer and in June Milo starts therapy dog school (to cheer up people in hospitals – not Milo on the couch venting about how I won’t let him play with Flingshot)… but I need something that I can start right now. Even if I’m just telling Milo and Abe, I want to be able to do the whole “Well on Monday nights I have my ___________ and on Thursdays it’s ___________”. I'm really trying to be more social. Really trying. So far it's just happening in my head, but I have big plans for a real life social me.

4 comments:

KMyers said...

I just finished reading all your postings (don't know if that correct terminology) and I had a laugh out loud good time doing it. I don't know when, but soon someone like Dave Eggers or a SNL talent scout is going to read your blog and ask you to be a writer for them. You are brilliant!

Kelly said...

Oh mama!

Abby said...

Where are you? I'm bored. Post something.

Abby said...

Seriously. Post something.