Tuesday, May 22, 2007

36.

Affirmations

Today, like most days, I rode my bike over to campus. But today, as I was stopped at the 3rd street stoplight, I looked over and there was a sign on the streetlight that said: "You are beautiful." As I was standing there, by myself, I looked to my left, then to my right, then back at the sign and said "Well thank you."

And then I rode my bike to Rincon Market to buy salmon from Yuri. He remembered me right away (come to find out, he has a perfect chronological memory of everything that has happened over the last five years) and he wondered why I was there alone. Before I had time to answer, he came out and gave me a big hug--this is not something that we do--but he felt compelled to give me an “it will all be okay embrace.” Things are actually pretty good, but I threw myself, full-body, into that hug. And when Yuri told me that he was sure good luck was coming my way, I threw both arms up in the air and promised him that I will soak it in.

3 comments:

Abby said...

If this were a t.v. show -- Buffy or Angel -- I would be able to say, without any hint of embarassment, that there seems to be something in the air lately. I'm not sure I can put it into words. It's something I've been trying to talk about on my blog. A sense of connection -- to people, to places -- that is in many ways out of your control. A sense that something is coming, that things are happening that you can't control or completely understand. Some of it is positive: the good things that Yuri is wishing toward you, seeing for you; some of it isn't. But I have a sense lately that things are happening to me, around me, to and around those people I love. Things that are outside of their control.

Were I crunchier I would say that the universe is sending you luck and joy. But I left that college a long time ago. So I'll just say this: I miss you.

Kelly said...

Oh Ab, I miss you. I wish that the universe would send me you.

Abby said...

me too